Tips to be a Thrifty Camper this Summer
Celebrate National Camping Month by Enjoying the Great Outdoors and Saving Money
Hey, it's me, Debbie, your thrifting go-to guide! Did you know June is National Camping Month? I love to go camping in Ohio. There's so many beautiful camp sites nearby. Best of all, I'm able to find a lot of my camping supplies at Volunteers of America thrift stores.
My Top Camping Thrift Store Finds
Backpacks: There's a wide variety of packs and bags to choose from at my local thrift store. They are great for when I'm just doing a day hike or embarking on a weekend backpacking trip.
Bottoms: Whether you prefer shorts, capris or pants, there's no shortage of bottom choices at the thrift store. I look for athletic nylon shorts that are breathable and comfortable.
T-Shirts: T-shirts are a must when camping during the summer. Polyester shirts tend to dry quickly which is nice when it's hot outside. Usually I'm looking for a specific color shirt, so I love that Volunteers of America of Greater Ohio sorts their clothes by color.
Rain Jackets: Even if the forecast doesn't call for rain, I still like to bring a trusty rain coat with me, just in case.
Shoes: Whether it's sandals for wading in the creek or boots to carry you through your journey, there's a lot of shoes to pick from at your local thrift shop.
Water Bottles: Staying hydrated is critical while hiking and camping so that's why I pack plenty of water with me. There's so many cute water bottles to choose from at my favorite Volunteers of America thrift store!
You'll Love These Creative Camping Tips:
- Use foam floor tiles to make your tent floor a bit more comfortable.
- For a DIY lantern, wrap your head lamp around a gallon jug of water and shine the light inside.
- Use Tic-Tac boxes to pack spices. Or use Tic Tac boxes for a mini-tackle box if you're fishing. Tic Tac's come in handy.
- Bring some instant coffee packets for a quick cup of Joe and to avoid caffeine withdrawal. Coffee is a must-have for me!
- Tie a belt around a tree and attach "S" hooks to the belt for a place to hang up pots and pans. Thrift stores have a wide selection of belts for sale.
- Carry charcoal in a cardboard egg carton.
- Use Doritos chips as a fire –starter or kindling.
- Add a bushel of sage to your campfire to keep pesky mosquitoes away.
- Try a S'moreo by opening an Oreo and placing chocolate and roasted marshmallow inside. Trust me.
- Don't forget sunscreen, bug spray and a first aid kit.
I wish you a wonderful time on your camping adventure this weekend, and I know you'll find the perfect camping gear at your nearest Volunteers of America of Greater Ohio Thrift Store.