Donate Your Used Goods FAQ
- What items do you accept for donation?
- What items are not accepted for donation?
- In what areas do you offer home donation pick-up service?
- Are my donations tax-deductible?
- Will I receive a receipt for my donations?
- What if I have misplaced my receipt?
- For tax purposes, what is Volunteers of America’s EIN number?
- Where can I drop off my donations?
- Who can I contact to ask questions about donation?
1. What items do you accept for donation?
We accept most used clothing and household items in good condition. Following is a list of items that we need most, but it is not exclusive. If you have any questions, call our donation line at (800) 873-4505.
- Clothing (men’s, women’s, children’s)
- Coats and jackets
- Blankets, sheets, pillows
- Curtains or drapes
- Dishes, pots and pans, silverware and cooking utensils
- Toys and games
- Craft supplies
- Electric heaters
- Sports equipment
- Musical instruments
- Pictures, paintings, wall décor
- Computers (preferably a complete set no more than 3 years old including monitor, processor/tower and keyboard)
- Records, tapes, CDs
- Book and magazines
- Small working appliances
- Furniture in good condition (call for details: (800) 873-4505)
2. What items are not accepted for donation?
We accept most clothing and household goods; however, we do have to place some restrictions on donations due to safety issues or cost of transportation. Following is a list of items that we do not accept. If you have any questions, call our donation line at (800) 873-4505.
- Mattresses and box springs
- Appliances including:
- Stove hoods
- Double-oven stoves
- Stovetop ranges
- Built-in appliances
- Gas stoves
- Gas dryers
- Water heaters
- Water softeners
- Sump pumps
- Vending Machines
- Lift chairs
- Large office copiers
- Business telephone systems
- Computers (older than 3 years)
- Large desks/metal desks
- Console stereos
- Canning jars
- Fire extinguishers
- Text books
- Water beds
- Electric beds
- Hospital beds
- Craftmatic® adjustable beds
- Bed frames without box springs or mattresses
- Ping pong tables
- Slate pool tables
- Large trampolines
- Jungle gyms or swing sets
- Home gyms, weight benches or weights
- Bath tubs
- Single tires
- Garage door openers
- Children’s car seats
We do not accept items that need repair or major cleaning.
Lawnmowers must have the gas tanks emptied. Riding mowers must have inflated tires.
3. In what areas do you offer home donation pick-up service?
We offer free home pick-up service in most Central and Northeast Ohio counties. Fill out a request for a home pick-up or call us at (800) 873-4505 to ask about your area.
4. Are my donations tax-deductible?
Yes! All donations in good condition are tax-deductible. Refer to our donation valuation guide for placing a value on your donated items. Volunteers of America of Greater Ohio’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 34-0861121.
5. Will I receive a receipt for my donations?
Yes. You will receive a receipt in person if you drop your donations off at a store. If you donated via a mail route, meaning you received a postcard in the mail with information on when we picked up in your area, the postcard serves as your receipt. If you donated via a drop box or have misplaced your receipt, please contact our donation line at (800) 873-4505.
6. What if I have misplaced my receipt?
If you have misplaced your donation receipt, please contact our donation line at (800) 873-4505 to receive a replacement.
7. For tax purposes, what is Volunteers of America’s EIN number?
Volunteers of America of Greater Ohio’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 34-0861121.
8. Where can I drop off my donations?
You can drop off your donations to any store location during business hours or any time at one of our drop box locations.
9. Who can I contact to ask questions about donation?
E-mail us at email@example.com with any questions. Or, call us toll-free at (800) 873-4505. Phone room hours are 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday - Friday and 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Saturday. Feel free to leave a message and we will return your call promptly.